Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Woman Down!!

So everyone or almost everyone I know has been making resolutions for the new year, big whoop! good for them. I wasn't about to do it but an occurrence has changed my mind. I have only one and that is to keep my two feet solid on the ground in a vertical position! You would think this should be relatively easy right being that i'm not a drunk and i don't walk and stumble around, apparently it's not.

Friday morning I got up early, showered and got dressed to go run errands before Mother Nature changed her mind...again!! You see this should have been a clue that this was not going to be an ordinary day. I am not a morning person especially on my off day from work! But here I was trying to be responsible and do the right thing. Mother Nature has been behaving like a tempermental woman going through menopausal syndrome blowing hot and cold lately, literally! One day it was seven degrees and freezing, couple days later it was forty plus degrees, then it rained real hard one day and the next we had freezing rain (sleet), then as if that wasn't confusing enough we went up to near fifty degrees the next day! Seriously!! So on this Friday morning up and dressed, it had rained a bit and stopped and my hubby was downstairs getting ready to leave. I yelled from upstairs and asked him to wait for me. He did, thank God! I came downstairs and was surprised how mild it was, wet but mild. I locked the door behind me and stepped down on the first of three steps which looked wet but apparently was thin sheets of ice, next thing I knew I was sliding and going down, down, down I yelled out "holy sh**" as I landed moaning and groaning and becoming increasingly frightened when I saw the position of my left leg and ankle. I heard my husband saying "boo, be careful"...when? I was already down!!

I couldn't moved as hot excruciating pains shoot up my leg, my femur felt extremely painful I truly thought the bone had dislocated meanwhile my ankle began to hurt as it got bigger and bigger. I couldn't move! I didn't want to because I knew the pain was going to be unbearable. My husband kept saying "boo you gotta get up" I kept saying "I can't move." He half lifted me up while I struggled to pull myself up and quickly crawled inside where I had like thirteen steps to climb before I reached the couch. To this day I don't know how I made it up the stairs, I know my husband was behind me supporting me in case I lost my balance again, other than that the mechanics of it I can't recall. I sat on the couch while he took my boots off and I immediately requested Tylenols and water and took them. He made a cold compress and I kept massaging from my femur to my ankle with it. He kept asking if i wanted to go the ER. I told him "no, maybe later"... He kept saying we should go and find out if anything is broken. I told him I didn't think anything was broken or I wouldn't have been able to just climbed thirteen steps. Unfortunately he had to leave and I was alone. Common sense kicked in and I knew I had to go to the emergency room for x-rays to find out if anything was fractured or broken.

I looked down the length of passage I had to walk to get to my bedroom, didn't seemed that long before. I moaned, groaned, and grunted my way down the passage to my bedroom and tried to find a skirt (had discarded my pants when I got upstairs) or a dress because I knew whatever I wore had to be accessible for the x-rays. I found a very comfortable sweat pants big enough to hold me and half another person but very comfortable and could be easily taken on and off. I found a size twelve pair of sandals belonging to my husband and put them on because I couldn't get my ankle in any kind of enclosed shoe/sneaker/boot. I looked down at the thirteen steps, gritted my teeth, moaned, groaned and grunted my way down the stairs. I called a cab and was on my way.

The emergency room was full to capacity and I groaned as I made my way to the window to be registered. Looking around seventy percent of the people were dragging one leg or another, hopping and moaning like I was. We all fell! Kindred spirits! I was x-rayed after an eternity. I had a sprained ankle and contusions on my thigh and my knee was swollen as well. I had gotten my papers and prescription and met my husband and son who came to get me. I was relieved to be out of the hospital. They were working really hard and long and i knew it would continue throughout the night. I was very grateful for their service.

I'm home enjoying being catered to and taking meds and icing my swollen ankle and femur and now suddenly my knee on the same left foot is acting up. I am off work for a some days which I need to recuperate and you'd better believe i'm following doctor's order to a tee...All the while trying to stay upright, vertical, stand tall...if you please.

No comments: