Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 7, 2012



And the jury is out!
January 3, 2012

So apparently I had received two notices from the court’s offices regarding being selected as a potential juror. I said apparently because I was informed in a third letter that subpoenaed me to the office because I was ‘non-compliant’ in filling out the two previous forms that was mailed to me. I knew I mailed it back like two or three times… maybe two years ago. I figured they knew I wasn’t a citizen they would just move on and select someone else. Well, it didn’t go exactly like that. I don’t know for sure but I’m assuming the computer generates a list every year and my name is always on it seemed. So I was once again selected.

I went to work and asked for my day off to be switched so that I would be available on the day I had to go to the office and prove to them that I wasn’t a citizen. I was told “I can’t do that, its coupon and super bowl week, and did I have any idea how busy it was going to be?”
I began to envision me in front of a judge and being told to pay a hefty fine. I couldn’t afford any damn fine it was the beginning of the month and a whole new set of bills was waiting on me… So I pled my case some more and was told grudgingly I could switch my days. Sweet relief!

On the morning of my appointment, woke up early and my husband and I went to get the bus because of course his car is in the shop…again!  This was the first sign that the morning was not gonna be an ordinary day. While waiting for the “Limited bus” we were told it would be a long wait because there was a terrible accident and the ‘Limited” was not forthcoming. The limited bus makes limited stops thereby getting us from point A to point B faster unlike the local which makes all the local stops. We got on the crowded local bus and next thing we knew we were on that bus for almost two hours!! Traffic was backed up for miles, even on the side streets vehicles were jostling and pulling ahead to get on the main. It was just ridiculous! I called the office at 8:45 a.m. (my appointment was at 9:30) and told the young lady who answered that I was on the bus in traffic and would be really late. She told me to still try and make it and I wasn’t gonna be that late. Wanna bet lady? I wanted to ask but she hung up and I was still stuck on the damn bus. Meanwhile there was an elderly gentleman who took my right shoulder for his own personal soft down pillow. I think he had the best sleep ever enroute to the last stop.

When we finally arrived and saw the lines wounding its way around a corner I was horrified! A friendly young lady on line was drinking coffee and I asked her if by any chance this was the line for marriage licenses. She laughed and explained that it for jury notices. Damn! I was on the right line, and it was windy and cold as hell. The line kept moving pretty fast which was a plus and soon we were actually inside the building itself in another long line which wound its way down and into another room where we had to go through scanners and then sent into yet another room. The process went by quickly after that and soon I was called up, presented my questionnaire all filled out, showed my proof of non-citizenship and that was that! I was thanked for coming in and I was free!!
My hubby and I went to breakfast and caught the next train to our respective destinations!
As soon as I got home I checked my mail and went through it quite thoroughly because I am not too keen on making that trip again any time soon. I am glad that was over and done with… until of course I get the next one…Lata people!


No comments: