Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Budding Musician



December 5, 2011
The Budding Musician

Oh my gosh, make it stop, please! Coming from my son’s room was a horrific sound that was a cross between a cat being tortured and crying for dear life and a rusty door hinge that badly needed lubricating.
I quickly clamped my hands over my ears and cringed while repeating to myself, “Please make it stop!”  Mercifully it did.
He came out of his room in a huff and threw the clarinet on the couch beside me and declared “It’s not working…It’s just not working!” Face screwed up in frustration and shrugging shoulders as he stated his case.
Trying my hardest not to laugh I just said “really?”  I’m really thinking, aren’t you supposed to make it work? The way you were abusing the hell outta that poor clarinet I cannot blame it. What would it say if it could talk? I tried harder not to laugh in his face.
I patted the space beside me and he sat. I began to impart wisdom.
“Sweetie, I told him, you have to warm up your vocal chords before you start playing. It’s very important that you do so for the best results. I continued. A runner just does not get up and start running; they usually stretch their limbs and muscles before they do. The same goes for you. Start by taking some deep breaths in and out, in and out as deep as you can, hold for two seconds and let it out slowly and smoothly.
“Ok mom I can do that.” He began, “huh, huh, huh” like an elephant being chased by hunters in the forest.
“No, no sweetie, not like that. Sit up, good posture is important, sit up and take a deep breath through your nose, count one one thousand, two one thousand and exhale slowly through your mouth. I demonstrated for him a couple of times and he understood. He tried it and began to cough.
“Good I say, you are clearing your airways and opening up your diaphragm.”
“That’s exactly what my teacher said, he told me excitedly. What exactly is a diaphragm he asked?”
“Well, it’s a part of your muscular system that helps with sound when one is singing or playing an instrument such as trumpet, clarinet, etc.” (Note to self, look up diaphragm)
We sat for awhile and practice taking deep breaths the proper way until he was sure he was ready to try again.
He got up, stood erect and started playing. My hand was itching to clamp my ears down but I needn’t bothered, he was playing beautifully! The one note that was giving him trouble he played without any problem.
“I think you got it” I said. He had a big grin on his face. I think he surprised himself.
“Was it because I took deep breaths?” he asked.
“Yes, it was partly that and most importantly you didn’t give up!”
“Now go to your room and practice some more until you feel you get it just right ok.”
“Ok mom, thank you” he said as he took the clarinet and leave the room.
I could hear him practicing and hitting really bad notes and I could almost hear him taking deep breaths as he continued trying. Any minute now I expected to hear him storming out the room and complaining again, but he didn’t, He kept trying! I smile to myself.
“Yes it was a small victory but I felt like a fricking genius!”
Lata people!

No comments: